Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Just Be Me

Just Be Me
I don't have the supermodel size,
but there's love and understanding in my eyes.
I don't have the dancer's shapely hips,
but there's gentleness in my fingertips.
My legs may not go on and on forever, 
but you can tell in my stance, I'm well put together.
You may look at me and wonder with everything going on how I can still smile...
joy and peace are within me for trial after trial.
I know I still have far to go
and the road is tough, don't you know.
But, even with all my imperfections, I'm still very proud.
I don't have to walk with my head hanging down
nor does my face ever hint of a frown.
To use Maya's words, I'm a woman phenomenally.
Happiness reigns abound, deep inside me.
I'm smart, funny, sensual and full of wit.
I'm strong and patient, but I won't take any s**t.
I'm loving, caring and honest as all get out.
I'm a big, beautiful, black woman, and I know what I'm about.
So, pass me by if you don't like what you see,
but that won't stop me from being me.
Dismiss me because my image doesn't appeal to you,
but you'll miss all the wonderful things I plan to do.
Or, you could stop and engage me in conversation
and together we can embark on a whole new revelation.
I may not be your idea of perfect, maybe, 
but I'm just perfect enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment